Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Monday, June 4, 2012

PAPELBON RIPS PLATE UMP

After his inability to preserve a 3-3 tie in the ninth inning at Citizens Bank Park, $50,000,058 reliever Jonathan Papelbon criticized plate umpire D.J. Reyburn.

Papelbon was upset that Reyburn seemed to miss a strike call on Dee Gordon, who would triple, before Papelbon would surrender the game-winning hit to Elian Herrera.

“I said, 'You know you messed that call up,'” said Papelbon, who confronted Reyburn after his one inning. “I guess he was motioning for Charlie (Manuel). I said, 'I just want to ask you a question.' The other umpire came over and said, 'What are you doing over there?' I said, 'I'm going to ask him a question.' He wouldn't let me even ask him a question.”

The question?

“I wanted to know if he could throw me out for what I was thinking,” Papelbon said. Which was? “I thought he was terrible. All day. Not just that pitch. All day. And I wanted to know if he could throw me out for what I was thinking. And if he could, I thought he (was bad). Just that simple.”

Papelbon did acknowledge that his pitching was less than perfect.

 “I just caught too much of the plate,” said Papelbon, who had not allowed a run in his seven previous appearances. “I have to execute my pitches better than that.”

Check out the complete Phillies coverage, including an update from Chase Utley's extended spring training in Clearwater, Chris Vito's column on Jimmy Rollins and the Phillies' activity in the baseball draft in the Daily Times Tuesday and, as always, on delcotimes.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home