Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Berube encouraged by Giroux skating

Craig Berube gave his usual pregame press interview Thursday before the Flyers played the New Jersey Devils in a preseason game at the Wells Fargo Center.

The transcript:

On Claude Giroux skating today: “I think he was fine. He had a good skate yesterday, on his own, and went out there and skated with some guys today. He seemed OK.”

Is that encouraging?: “Yeah. Definitely. Any time you can get back on the ice this early, it is really good.”

In picking a final roster, how much emphasis is placed on the preseason games, and how much on the practices? “I’d say it’s more the games. I think that you have to see how people play in the games and under pressure and stuff.”

Anybody catch your eye so far? “Well, we have a lot of young guys that have been really good, I think, and pretty impressive players who have a real good future here. They’ve all played well, the young guys, I think.”

Does Samuel Morin have a shot to make the team? “I don’t know that about anybody. I don’t go into that stuff. I really don’t. It’s not fair to anybody, including the kid. He’s played well.”

When the final roster is chosen, it’s it Ron Hextall’s call or the head coach’s call?: “I think we all sit down as a whole group and look at things and see what we’re all seeing. We have our opinions. And we will figure it out.”

Goaltender for tonight: “Mason and Zepp will split.”

How has the team played so far?: “I wasn’t up in London, but the guys seemed to play pretty good there. I thought we had a pretty good half a game here against Washington. We weren’t very good in the first period. In the Toronto game, we lacked energy. A lot of guys played back-to-back games that night.”

So you are looking for more energy tonight?
“Yes.”







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home