Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Asche happy to be in big leagues

This is a quick transcription of an interview Cody Asche did with the press in the Phillies locker room before his first big-league game Tuesday:



Asche:



“You never really know how you're going to react to it. Our manager told me I was going to the big leagues. I said, 'Today?' he said, 'Yeah, today.' I was like, 'OK, let's go.'”



Did he see it coming at all?



“No. No. I am the kind of guy that just likes to every day on a daily basis. Work hard that day and see what happens. I wasn't looking into the future for anything, just kind of work hard and wait for an opportunity.”



A home-grown talent like Utley, Cole etc ..



“I hope. I will work to that. I look up to the guys who have come through the system. They have been successful. They have won championships. They are definitely guys that we looked to and tried to emulate.”


On where he stands …



“I am just going to try and soak it all in today. And just take it day by day. Work hard at whatever they bring at me.”



On Triple A season, beyond the numbers …



“It's been up and down. There is that learning process that took place. I always think to myself that there is something more that could have been done. But that's baseball. You take your ups, you take your downs and just keep going and hopefully the ups outweigh the downs.”



An indication of whether he will start …



“I have no idea. No idea. No.”



Had he been expecting a call?



“No idea. No indications.”



When did he get call?



“Around 11:30 this morning.”



Family in town?



“They are coming tomorrow. They are all in the middle of a work day.”



“From St. Louis.”



Are they fired up?



“Yeah. Yeah. I haven't stopped smiling all day.”



He's been hitting well, hoping for some at-bats?



“Hey, if they come, they come. If not, I will settle into whatever role they have for me here.”



Has developed more power this year?



“Maybe. I just think the power just comes along with refined skills and seeing more pitches and having more plate discipline, and a little better pitch selection. When you refine your swing and are able to put a consistent pass on balls in the zone, I think the numbers kind of just come. It's not something that you try to do.”



Trade deadline on his mind?



“I am not one that likes to get caught up in that kind of stuff. I usually get my updates from you guys, who tell me what is going to happen. I just kind of take it on a daily basis and try to work hard and try to earn opportunities in this game. That's all you can ask for.”



Seem to have turned the corner offensively in the last few months …



“Yeah. I think there has probably been a gradual increase in consistency, I would say. Earlier in the year, I wasn't having consistent at-bats like I needed to. And it just comes with experience, I guess, and comfort. I think the numbers came with consistency and the comfort.”



Why slow starts at every level? Thoughts?



“Not really. If I had an answer, I don't think I would start slow. Hopefully I can just stay comfortable in who I am and just keep trying to help the team win.”



Did he think this was possible at the beginning of the season?



“No. I just thought about being the best player I could be.”



Was he surprised?



“Very. I was planning on waking up at 2 or 3 and going to the field and being the Iron Pigs third baseman today. So I was definitely surprised.”


How did he find out?



“Dave Brundage called me, our manager.”



No hijinks?



“No. He didn't try to mess with me or anything. Thankfully not. That wouldn't have been very funny.”



Compared to Utley, now dressing in locker next to him?



“I can only hope someday I can be compared to that guy (pointing to Utley's locker). I will just take it as it is right now.”



Is it common to wake up at 2 or 3?



“No. We got in late last night probably 4 a.m. From Pawtucket. A long bus ride.”



Have they told him about his role?



“They have not.”



Has he talked to Charlie?



“Yeah, when I got here I talked to him. He said, 'Just go out there and take B.P. and go about the day like it is a normal day and figure it out.”



Confident?



“Just being confident is who I am. It is always who I try to be, just a confident person that believes in myself no matter what. I think if you have confidence in yourself, you will be able to succeed at any level.”



Not long ago you were in Williamsport struggling?



“I does seem fast. I was talking to my buddy. He called me on the way up here. He was my roommate in Williamsport so we were kind of reminiscing on the way up. But, yeah, it definitely feels that it has gone quick, but I wouldn't change it for anything.”



Who was roommate?



“Mike Nesseth.”





Outside distractions?



“Not for me. I think it is pretty easy to kind of push that stuff aside. I am just a guy that wants to go about my work and just work hard and try to be a better baseball player every day.”



Family coming?



“I think I have my parents, girlfriend, brother, his fiancee, my agent. Just a little small group.”



Outfield?



“If it is asked of me I could probably figure something out.”




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home