Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

AVANT CLARIFIES HIS POSITION

Jason Avant was caught saying this over the weekend:

“We realize it’s going to be just these guys in the locker room, that’s the way we take it. We don’t want people jumping on our bandwagon now. We want people to go out and still talk bad about us.”

True or false: He claims his remarks were taken out of proportion.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.

Anyway, Avant refused to apologize for his remarks Thursday at the NovaCare Complex, though he did say that he was half joshing with Channel 6 reporter Keith Russell and that the comment then took on its own life.

“Understand, this is what I do respect about the Philadelphia fans: They are very, very knowledgeable,” he said. “And I love playing before our fans. I want to win the championship for this city so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so bad. So I respect them and I love them as fans. So I will go out and give everything I have. And whatever was said --- which I don't even remember half of it --- it is still my opinion.”

Check out the coverate in the Daily Times Friday and, as always, on delcotimes.com

1 Comments:

Blogger GREEN AS YOU CAN BE said...

Here's the problem. Whenever someone makes a blanket statement they are always going to be at risk of being totally wrong about some of those people. when you are talking about eagles fans as a group you risk offending quite a few people. To call us all bandwagon jumpers is nothing short of crazy. lets talk about myself, 34 years every game, road trips many years, playoffs, super bowl been to them all, I dont boo, its just my choice, I just respect those who do but its not my style. But I have been there with this team thru thick and thin, I flew home on a plane by myself when we lost in new orleans SB XV, I flew down that very morning of the game,I lived thru rich, and enjoyed every minute of buddy, I was in milwauke yeah milwauke when we fumbled a punt and set up a last second field goal and I was in cleveland when we came back with jim mcmahon, my first road victory,I was in dallas when randall went gopher hunting and in baltimore when we tied I drove to st louis in 2000, I had my bags packed and left for san diego the next day when we lost to tampa in the last game at the vet, san diego was full of band wagon eagles fans that week, had my heart ripped out by carolina, and then courtesy of the daily times, thank you, got to watch new england, carolina and janet jackson,finally we made it to jacksonville and we all know what happened there, Im still sitting in my seats today and Im still hopeing that jeffrey laurie and andy reid can get me a championship because I cant count on the players anymore, I feel more pain when we lose than some of these guys, if jason avante has the opertunity to make another 100 dollars in another city he will be on the first plane because its a business nothing more nothing less, so wher does he get the right to call me a bandwagon jumper, he has the freedom, he is absolutely right, but he hasnt earned the right. sorry about the rant

November 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home